Sunday, March 30, 2008

If at first you don't succeed...

I saw Syriana when it first came out in December 2009. I was ashamed to admit it, but I never caught on to what was going on. An earlier post revealed they were confused as well and made me realize I was not alone. There are many separate plot lines throughout the movie that the viewer gets tossed in and out of. Just as I was sort of understanding where one plot was headed, the movie switches to another scene from a completely separate plot and I was forced to start the who, what, where and when game all over again.
Because I didn't understand the movie the first time, I didn't feel I was knowledgeable enough to blog about it here. Before watching it again though, I looked up the plot lines in order to give myself some background.
When I watched it again, with context, it made a lot more sense. Obviously I enjoyed it much more this time. I think that I enjoyed it more not only because had a better grasp of what was going on, but I also had more knowledge into the oil background of the movie from this class. The multiple plot lines which involve such a wide range of characters really shows how far reaching oil's influence is. The first time I saw it I felt the multiple story lines were over kill, but now I understand the meaning behind it and can appreciate it.

1 comment:

jason h said...

I think the multiple plot lines emphasize what we learned in class. Our energy and security policies are woven together, often conflict each other, and get confusing.
The film also touched on blowback, a topic our lawmakers like to avoid .