Friday, January 18, 2008

Fancy Ferrari

"Fill up your Ferrari at the farm ?" is the headline of a Reuters article from Detroit. Why Marcel Michelson, the writer, believes E85 is found on farms beats me but obviously he's not alone. The Biofuel used in the Ferrari F430 Spider is 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline (If my farm had gasoline on it it wouldn't be a farm anymore). The E85 mix is one that's growing in popularity in the United States (Wal-Mart sales it now). The F430 Spider is part of Ferrari's efforts to reduce tail pipe emissions 40 percent by 2012. The technology behind the Spider comes from Ferraris experience with Formula I racing, which believe it or not has much higher requirements of percent biomass content the regular vehicles. To summarize Ferrari's new concept car the Spider F430, a supposedly new concept, uses ethanol....a concept T0yota, Hyundai, and Nissan all came out with a while ago. The way I see it anybody buying a Ferrari doesn't care too much about what kind of gas it uses as long as it goes fast and has that infamous black and gold decal on the hood....but then again I don't own a Ferrari so who am I to judge.

No comments: