Friday, February 22, 2008

Dont Mess with Texas!! part deux

I must admit that I’m not much of a museum person but my trip to the Texas museum turned out far better that I expected. Walking past years of Texas history with the native Americans and how culture evolved in this part of the world was pretty exciting. Finally we reached the section on Texas’ own kryptonite, “Oil”!

I knew that oil was an integral part of Texas’ prosperity but I was taken aback by the enormity of it. After hearing quotes like “Oil changed Texas”, “It changed everything it touched” it hit me as to why people are so emotionally attached to the oil industry here. It revolutionized and defined the Texas way of life recharging the agricultural economy and springing up good ole Ranches. I also learned that Texas has been at the forefront developing technologies in the oil industry since the 1920’s. The oil industry would not be what it is today if had not been for the enthusiasm and ingenuity of the Texas oilers. Without their exploits in the mid 1900’s our lives would have been completely different.

Oil has given us soo much over the years that I think its unfair to give it so much bad blood. I’m extremely proud to be associated with an industry that has so much history and heritage behind it. As a part of the new generation of oil men I believe we have huge responsibilities on our shoulders to take this industry to the next level.

No comments: