Saturday, February 23, 2008

Wind turbines are pretty!

The New York Times published an article today discussing wind power in Texas. It spoke of the potential for wind to reach 7-8% of our national energy generation capacity (though some believe we can rival Denmark at >20%). I wanted to share one statement in the article that I particularly identified with regarding Texas opposition (or lack thereof) of wind power based on aesthetics.

“Texas has been looking at oil and gas rigs for 100 years, and frankly, wind turbines look a little nicer,” said Jerry Patterson, the Texas land commissioner, whose responsibilities include leasing state lands for wind energy development. “We’re No. 1 in wind in the United States, and that will never change.”


I have to agree that I'd rather look at a wind turbine that an oil rig. Though, as an engineer, I have an appreciation for both.

No comments: