Thursday, February 7, 2008

Tobacco Analogy

I watched "An Inconvenient Truth," which, to play on all the bad name jokes, made me inconveniently depressed.  It reminded me of "The Pursuit of Happyness," where the whole movie was tragic, and then in writing at the end they tell us the story ended happy.  Why couldn't you share some of the happiness during the movie?  While I understand climate change is not a happy issue (unless you're a chinstrap penguin or Russian), I wish there was a greater emphasis on what can be done now that climate change is proven.

I thought it was interesting that Gore made the analogy to tobacco.  Tobacco was such a cash crop for so long, I remember hearing that some of the arguments were that getting rid of tobacco would destroy the economy.  But tobacco companies diversified.  I wonder if oil companies are headed in a similar direction -- they need to diversify.  And that makes me think of that Chevron commercial ... "imagine that: an oil company as part of the solution."   

No comments: