Saturday, February 9, 2008

Movie Review

I finally watched "An Inconvenient Truth" (I can't believe it wasn't at HEB!), and I definitely agree with a lot of recent posts on its message. Gore does do a good job of using the media to express his concerns, but does so in an easy manner. I can't always make sense of all the scientific speak and data - and there's a whole bunch of it - and so some of it might get lost in translation. But this movie was able to convey a good message without confusing the mass audience.

But at the same time, it was a bit disturbing to see the effects of global warming and what can (will?) happen in the future, like the coastlines disappearing, more hurricanes, and did he even hint at a mini-freeze with Greenland's mass ice effect on the ocean currents? So there obviously seems to be a solution for this, but it's much easier said than done. I mean, if every person is thinking, "how can I as one person make a change?" things will never get done, but that seems like the easy response.

Of course, I believe we can do it, but I think it also needs to start at the top, with our government. People will believe it can happen if our nation makes the effort to show it can. And it's not like you don't see people do it already. Many people, some that I know, too, buy hybrids, or rather than even drive, take buses or bike. And I've noticed a lot more people bringing their own backpacks or canvas bags to grocery stores instead of opting for paper or plastic. So you know the mentality is there whether anyone's seen the movie or not, and I do believe many people have seen it.

Love him or hate him, Gore is at least making an effort to make sure people know what the problem is and that, not only is there a solution, but we can reach it.

No comments: