Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Props to Al Gore

After watching the documentary "An inconvenient truth" about a year and a half ago, I started to take global warming seriously. Don't get me wrong, I cared about the environment before then, but I was more inclined to believe that it was a cyclical thing and we were all going to pass on to greener pastures anyway (truth be told). I didn't necessarily believe there was anything we could do to prevent it. This documentary opened my eyes to just the opposite. To be honest, I was a little impressed with Al Gore's slides, he was very knowledgable and seemed genuinely concerned (I'm very skeptical when it comes to anything politicians say). After watching the movie, I realised that he had been on this crusade for a really long time (Since his college days). He pioneered in the discussion of the environment at congress by bringing in in some climate scientists for presentations (When, he was in congress, not quite sure when that was). He had also written at least one book about climate change in the early 90's.
I recently read somewhere that during his presidential run, he had promised to join the Kyoto protocol. I wonder what the other candidates had to say at the time.
Anyways, Al Gore is great in that respect. If you haven't seen the documentary, make sure you do so, even if it's not for class. It's that good.

No comments: